The purpose of the Attenborough Garden Club is ‘to promote interest in and knowledge of gardening’. Membership of the club is mainly those in the middle and older ages and the club want to further help deliver their purpose by
- engaging with and providing facilities for local residents, visitors and commuters by developing the local community gardens, green spaces and potential gardens in the village
- passing their experience and knowledge on to those beneficiaries.
We started by adopting our local historic station to create a healthy, environmentally friendly, colourful, all year-round community garden, partly with recycled materials. It is used and appreciated by all the village and station users. We aim to bring people together and build strong and vibrant relationships in and across the community by providing an asset which
- improves the health and wellbeing of participants and the community by engaging more people in gardening activities
- uses the experience and knowledge of the Club as a catalyst for joint activity and learning with people in our community. This will introduce children into gardening, encourage those adults who haven’t gardened and call into action those who are no longer gardening. gardening
- helps change travel and environmental behaviour especially of commuters who presently use cars for the first and last part of their journey.
- is the fore runner of other community garden schemes in the village e.g. working with the nursey to create a learning habitat, planting green spaces in the village and on the village greens
- improves a historic station not presently fully appreciated by residents and commuters
Building Platform 1
Community Day 1 April 2018 – Planting of Platform 1
Planting Platform 2 – October 2018